(image generated through bighugelabs.com)

Sunday, September 28, 2008

EPL "23 things" updates

Evanston Public is doing the Web 2.0 "23 things" program, similar to Oakton's 2.Oakton program, but over a longer period and a few more tools. I'm going to blog here a bit about LibraryThing (#11), Web 2.0 within other libraries (#12), and Twitter (#14).

I initially signed up for LibraryThing over the summer, but also became aware of Shelfari through a colleague of mine. I don't know all the differences between these book tools, but I was told that there is a limit of books in LibraryThings (vs. no limit in Shelfari), and I also liked the look and feel of Shelfari with its nice wooden bookshelves. I've placed several books in there: http://www.shelfari.com/tedlibrarian. (am currently reading "My Bloody Life", by the way).

Regarding Web 2.0 in other libraries, I've seen some nice things. I think EPL's presence on Facebook is very cool, although in the 'new' Facebook I have to dig a little harder to find it - go to Profile, and then Info... I think the ability to write book reviews by patrons is very cool also. I should be able to do this in my school library at some point. We use Follett library software. Their new web-based version is called Destiny. Within Destiny kids can write book reviews - I've read listservs that state this is a very popular feature - can't wait to try it! (I used to do have the kids write paper reviews on note cards at my old school, but I think the electronic version would be more popular).

Regarding Twitter - sometimes way too much information. Some people seem to update every little thing. I think occasional updates are good; you get to know someone better. Other people don't do updates at all. I'm sure this is a mirror of our personalities!

1 comment:

Rich said...

sounds like a great program at epl! let me know if you set up a twitter account :)